Thursday, May 17, 2012

Meet . . .


David M. Gallegos

Rio Colorado Weaving
511 San Andres NW

Albuquerque, NM  87107

505-344-6954


Weaving and the fiber arts are an integral part of my life.  I was surrounded with pieces woven by my mother, Eva Rael Gallegos, and grandmother, Stella Quintana Rael.  There were rag rugs on the floors and beautiful, colorful fresadas on the beds; and many woven pieces on tables and dressers, as well as saddle blankets in the stables.  It is quite natural that I would be drawn to weaving. 

In the summmer of 2002, my mother and I spent three weeks in the Community Center in Cerro where she taught me how to warp one of the old WPA looms and how to weave simple stripes.  The following year, I built a loom at Northern New Mexico College.  My mother continues to teach and encourage me. 

The focus of my first rugs was learning how the loom works and discovering the joy of using patterns and color, especially traditional Rio Grande designs and interpretations of work done by my mother and grandmother.   I naturally gravitate to bright and bold colors that stand out.  All the rugs are carefully planned, drawn and colored on paper before I get on the loom. 

My work in 2011 reflects the images and designs I saw on my journey to Italy.  One piece is my interpretation of the landing on the Scala d’ Oro in the Doge’s Palace in Venice, another design was inspired by a fresco in the Palazzio Vecchio in Florence, and the mosaic floors of the Vatican Museums inspired another.

I have shown my work at the Fiber Arts Fiesta in Albuquerque, the Questa Vencidad Studio Tour, Artesanos de Questa Artist of the Month, The Regalos Holiday Gift Show at the National Hispanic Cultural Center, Studio Mares in St. Petersburg, Florida, and the Contemporary Hispanic Market in Santa Fe.  For the first time in a number of years, I am not planning to participate in any shows or markets in 2012, choosing instead to concentrate on weaving and discovering new techniques.

www.riocoloradoweaving.com


Here is some of his work





To learn more about David and the other members of the New Mexico Fiber Artisans, visit our web site at www.nmfiberartisans.org - and Join Us!

No comments:

Post a Comment